Monday, September 12, 2005


I ventured among the 18 million people of Shanghai this weekend to see as much as I could in a couple of days.

Saturday began by visiting The Bund with Situ. The Bund is an area of Shanghai where European influence can be seen all around. In the 1900's - 1940's, this riverfront area was very important for businesses from around the world.

This district, as well as other higher class establishments in Shanghai were degraded after the cultural revolution of the Communist Party beginning in the 1950's. In recent years, Shanghai has re-established these sites as historic and tourist attractions.

After we visited The Bund, Situ and I had a bite to eat in a restaurant atop what I call the "Batman Building". The building has much iron work around the structure, looking like something from Gothic City.

Following lunch, Situ took me shopping in the old Shanghai district, home to many stories regarding gangsters from the 1920's - 1940's. We stopped at a restaurant that Situ thought was Mexican. Turns out, it was sort-of Italian (Chinese style Italian of course). I was able to pick up some nice gifts for the Mrs. and the Miss.

Sunday in Shanghai consisted of an early morning walk. I decided to be brave and walk for a while on my own. I spent about 4 hours exploring and I felt very comfortable.

In the afternoon, Situ picked me up for a visit to his home. His family was very nice. His wife and daughter practiced English with me and they prepared a meal for us to share together. The meal consisted of traditional Chinese food and a Chinese Pizza!?!

At the end of the evening, Situ was very nice to present me and my family with several gifts. I am very thankful to Situ for showing me a small snapshot of what life is like in a Chinese home.

I returned to my hotel room at the Moller Villa with indigestion (I just can't get used to so many new foods). At this time, a Typhoon was coming through town. The rain and wind was pretty heavy, causing some wind damage. I was able to sleep well - just like in Oklahoma in the Spring storms :)

2 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you keep that thing on your head in the second picture from the top? Did you learn that trick in China? Planning on working in the Chinese Circus or what?

 
At 7:07 AM, Blogger Hillenberg said...

ahhh... ancient Chinese secret, if I tell you how I have to Shanghai you...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home