Monday, September 12, 2005

Moller Villa Hotel - Shanghai...


After a short work week at our factory in Kunshan China, I chose to stay in a historic mansion (now a hotel) in Shanghai. I arrived late Friday evening at the Moller Villa Hotel. The car ride from Kunshan to Shanghai resulted in severe nausea. I am sure it was part motion sickness, air pollution and partly due to foods that I am not accustomed to eating.

Arriving at the hotel was a real treat. This is a genuine piece of Shanghai history. The hotel was originally a home built by a wealthy English businessman in the 1930's. As the story goes, the daughter of the businessman dreamt of a castle when they moved from England to Shanghai. The father wished to make his daughter happy with the transition and had her dream constructed.

As with many other grand European structures and culture in Shanghai, the introduction of Communist China in the 40's & 50's resulted in a focus away from entrepreneurism and thus the Moller Villa mansion fell into disrepair.

About 10 years ago, the Moller Villa was transformed into a beautiful hotel. Thanks to my friend Darby who visited the hotel last month, I took up his recommendation and I am really enjoying the opportunity to stay in a place that is much more than a hotel.

1 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a accommodation beach oceanfront va site/blog. It pretty much covers *KEYWORD** related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :

 

Post a Comment

<< Home